Like I said last week, Presleigh has been very defiant lately. Unfortunately I was loosing my cool far more than I wanted and ended up feeling pretty guilty and exhausted at the end of most days. I knew we needed to make some major changes in the way we dealt with her. What I was doing wasn't effective and it made me feel bad as well. I had read the book 1-2-3 magic before and when a child counselor recommended I use the method I was all in. I also was told that with toddlers and strong willed kids you must be prepared to leave anywhere at anytime. Whew, that sounded a little scary to me but I am willing to give this whatever it takes. After 2 days of the 1-2-3 method I could see Presleigh was catching on. She was only doing things once or twice and hardly getting to three. It was nice to not be yelling...instead it was short to the point and she knew what to expect. Today we had a rougher morning. We went to a playmate at our friends house. These type of situations are a little harder for P because she gets very rambunctious and I think it is hard to control herself. There was a few times where she hit or pushed some of the other kids. More than once I told her we would leave if she did it again. So, when she pushed another girls I picked her up and told her we were going home. Oh my... She cried!!!!! She screamed that she didn't want to go, no mama, I don't wanna go home! But I just kept my cool and we left. It took her a few minutes to get over it but her behavior the rest of the day was way better! It feels like we are enjoying our time together more. She knows what to expect from Mom. That I won't let some stuff slide and then other times fly off the handle. I am very proud of her, it seems she is happy too that she is being such a good girl. But.. It's only been a few days and I know the road might not get easier for awhile.
The girls are starting to play together really well. Since Charleigh is a crawling machine, Presleigh is always running from her trying to get her to play chase. I love hearing Presleigh laugh and play with her little sister. P has even been my helper by staying behind Charleigh when she climbs the stairs. I wish she would just keep her from going up them but i guess thats what a baby gate is for! The two of them crawled all over the kitchen, under the table and under the chairs. They entertained each other for over an hour tonight....having them 2 years apart just might pay off :)! I honestly think that the happiest moments I have had as a mom are the ones when my two girls are playing together and enjoying each others company. Nothing is better than that!
So proud of you for sticking to your guns! And I could not agree more, hearing the girls play is absolutely precious :)
ReplyDelete